Castle Clash: Brave Squads Today: 0    Total Posts: 10149

Total:#4

Create Thread

[Suggestion] Pruning the Bloat

[Copy link] 3/599

Posted on 10/7/19 10:18:56 PM | Show thread starter's posts only

As I mentioned in another thread on a related subject, it is undeniable, at least in my opinion, that the game has become bloated and is in severe need of a pruning.

The point of this thread is to try to identify places where we can prune unnecessary, wasted space without negatively impacting the game.

I'll go first... the Tencent version of this game closed in 2017, I believe. Right? If so, do we really need all the files that were specific to that server needlessly inflating the size of the game?

There were several Heroes that were exclusive to the Tencent version of the game, AFAIK. Great Sage, Exorcist, Phantom Fighter, Juggernaut, and Kung Fu Master, I think are the only ones. I may be missing some.

Anyway, I know from mining the OBB for graphics for use on a website for my Guild that at least some, if not all, of the graphics for those Heroes were still included in the game as of September of 2018, even though they weren't used anymore.

They may have been removed since, as I feel no desire to check. If not, however, those and any related animations could be removed, if and until they are needed, freeing up that wasted space.

That means any icons, moving animations, attack animations, skill effects, that had not been removed for each of them. Again, that is assuming any and/or all of that is still there, a year later.

That's not even mentioning any remaining code or data files that may remain. Whether or not those remain, I have no idea. I only bothered with the image files.

I have a few more thoughts on ways to save space, but I just wanted to get the ball rolling here. Any ways that immediately pop out at you to save space, without negatively impacting the game? If so, please share... maybe IGG will pay attention and trim the fat, so to speak.

It would only be a benefit, both to players and IGG. The smaller the app is, the more easily people can download it. The more people that can easily download it, the more people that spend money... it's a win-win! :D

Signature
Ok, sure.

What?

Move along, please.
Posted on 10/8/19 2:38:08 AM | Show thread starter's posts only

I can bet there are some things which could be removed from game file without losing anything, but it wouldn't change that much imo. I have checked game files some time ago and those pictures don't take that much since. I'm not sure about animations, since they must have their weight. 
It would be better indeed to remove them from files, but how much space it will be saved this way? We can't be sure, not much fur sure.

Signature
Leader of Nation_Army. Want to know more about us ?? Check this:
http://cc.forum.igg.com/topic?ctid=189821&t=1454402552&p=1

Posted on 10/8/19 2:53:06 AM | Show thread starter's posts only

I think that is a wonderful idea, many of the members (like myself) have been forced to play under minimal requirements for sometime, decreasing the file size by removed unused content could very quickly reverse this scenario.  Although it might be a short lived advantage given the rate of increase with each update, but it will also provide more space for future updates.

Signature

Follow IGG @Facebook.com/IGG    Follow CC @Facebook.com/CastleClash
Posted on 10/8/19 6:28:21 AM | Show thread starter's posts only

As a software developer, I am quite amused by notion of database cleanup.   I am yet to see a database without a lot of !@$#% in it.

But more power to Mr Spectre if he can talk IGG into it.

Signature
Guild: Neldy on Android (we are recruiting)
Name: Rusty (Rustyx in game)
Might: ~520k
Guild title: resident wisenheimer.
Line ID: Rustytroll (big shock there, eh?)